Project Description: When First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1784, Lexington was a frontier town with 30 cabins and a stockade. Much has changed since then, but First Presbyterian Church still has an active presence in downtown Lexington and remains a historic landmark. The project offered many constraints because of the church’s registry as a historic building, various site constraints, finely detailed architecture and proximity to Henry Clay’s historic law office. The renovation included restoration of the main sanctuary, restoration of the main balcony and bell tower, and interior work that included an elevator addition and accommodations for people with disabilities. A new 120-seat chapel and new brick-paved courtyard also were added.
Firm Role: Congleton-Hacker served as construction manager at risk and general trades contractor.